Monday, December 17, 2007

What I Needed to Say

What I needed to say while

sitting beside you in class watching

you doodle black designs on your arm;

While walking behind you in the hall

trying not to act any different than anyone

else; While holding my breath in your presence,

hoping you can guess my thoughts, and yet

dreading your gruesome reaction.

What I needed to say while

watching you at lunch, my face

delicately turned away from you; While

complimenting your new favorite shirt

that you wore today and yesterday,

And the day before that and the week before that.

What I really needed to say was

you really need to take a shower.



4 comments:

Missy said...

haha thats funny. i think you could add more romantic images by like adding in like a day dream that you think up while you're staring at him while he writes on his arm or something. but over all i thought it was really funny cuz u aren't inspecting it at all. haha

*Dream*Dare*Do* said...

This made me laugh... like missy said you don't see it coming. I'm not sure how to help you with imagery because I'm stuck on my own and I'm really frustrated at the moment :P

Anonymous said...

i love this, it's hilarious! i think you don't need anything more romantic, you just need to emphasize the punchline there at the end.
maybe make it a quote like, "What I really needed to say/'Oh God, you smell so bad.'" Make it blunt, like you can't take it anymore.

Anonymous said...

I agree with what emilee said. Make the joke more punchy and it'll be funnier. I got, first time, the romance... actually about 3 lines in. So, emphasizing it more is probably not needed (considering the supposed male incapability at noticing subtle romantic overtones). We all saw that, so it can't be too little.